The first in a series of three coding games,CODE: On The Brinkis a brand new game from ThinkFun. Its a step up from the kind of programming concepts in the successful Robots Turtles game. Kids have to use their problem solving skills to get their robot form A to B, using the map of colored squares and pre-programmed moves. The other games in the series areCODE: Robot RepairandCODE: Rover Control.
11. CubettoCubetto is a cross between a robot and a wooden game. Thiscoding toycomes with color coded pieces that fit onto a block. Each color represents a directional movement that when placed in order, Cubetto will follow. Its a very easy way to teach young children the basics of sequencing using toy blocks that preschoolers are familiar with.
Last update on 2018-05-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Samantha Kotey is the editor for AvatarGeneration and has a background in educational technology and virtual worlds. A mom of two, she is passionate about all things related to toys and technology.
Get your kids eager for the mail when you order a subscription forBitsbox. This all in one monthly coding kit is sent to your home and includes a full themed kit for kids to play with. You are able to check online to see what the newest coding box theme is. There are a few options to choose from, a digital subscription that is emailed monthly, a basic Bitsbox or the deluxe Bitsbox that comes jam-packed with more stuff for kids to do.
Coding doesnt have to be hard and boring, it can be fun if taught in the right way. Youll be surprised by the range of cool ways that coding games are being used to teach the basic concepts of programming and logical thinking.
This article was originally published in 2016 and was last updated January 2018.
2. Osmo Coding Jam Game (Add-On)Inspired by over 50 years of research into computer programming education, Osmo coding is one of the easiest ways to introduce your kids or students to the world of programming. These coding games fromOsmo, make programming a creative, inspiring, and fun process. The latest in the Osmo range is the Coding Jam add-on, where you use coding blocks to make your music come alive. Youll need a starter Osmo kit to use the add-ons and there are lots of educational games to access with that kit.
Impressive and just good fun, here is a list of the 14 best coding games for kids.
7. Code Monkey IslandThis colorful game along with a 32-page book, teaches basic programming syntax and is a great early introduction to computer science. Made by a talented 23-year old programmer, Code Monkey Island has a beautiful design, is used in schools all over the world and considered to be one of the best tools for teaching young kids programming.
8. PuzzletsTeach kids to think like programmers and prepare them for a successful future with this exciting Puzzlets coding game. With 120 puzzling levels for all ages and levels, kids will have great fun while acquiring essential coding skills. The set includes 22 Puzzlets along with a play tray, app, USB cable, and colorful start guide.
5. Future Coders Robot Races by ALEX ToysRobot Races is a fun introduction to coding from Alex Toys. Kids pretend to be robots and have to move around the board placing tiles with arrows that tell them where to go. This teaches them about sequencing and coding logic as they solve each challenge.
4. CodingFarmersCodingFarmers is a board game that introduces kids to the concept of Java programming. Through board game play and action cards, kids move around their player, using simple commands. The game was designed by Nikhil and Anika Cheerla, a team from the .
Some of the links on AvatarGeneration are affiliates. If you purchase a product after clicking an affiliate link, we receive a small percentage of the sale for referring you, at no extra cost to you. Affiliate links are an easy, painless way to support your favorite bloggers and we are incredibly appreciative of your support!
12. LittlecodrLittlecodr is another Kickstarter backed card game to help explore the concept of coding. The idea is that you lay out a sequence of cards that represent directions for a person to follow. For example, forward, back, left, or turn right. Once kids get the hang of the game, there are endless possibilities for making up new paths and ways to learn.
9. Learning Resources Code & Go Robot MouseThis bright activity set will entertain kids for days while introducing them to science, technology, engineering, and math. The Learning Resources Code & Go Robot Mouse Activity Set includes a colorful maze and a mouse you can program with easy-to-use controls. Make a unique maze and let your mouse follow it in order to find a hidden cheese.
Thinking logically, being creative, mastering computing, problem solving weve all heard about the great things that kids should be learning. But, wheres the fun in thousands of lines of jumbled numbers and letters?
We often think of coding as a geeky, solitary activity, but with programming games, the learning becomes a multiplayer experience. Parents, friends and siblings can all take part.
Are you looking for coding games for kids that are educational, fun and really engaging? Sometimes the easiest way to teach kids something is through a game, with friends and family.
2. Robot Turtles GameIf your kids or students are a huge fan of board games, they will be excited to explore the world of programming with the Robot Turtles Game. This cool board game has the honour of being the most-backed board game in Kickstarter history. From preschoolers to teens, this unusual board game will inspire little programmers eager to learn more about coding. You can also download additional materials such as an e-book or coloring pages on their official website.
1. BloxelsBloxels is a physical game kit where kids design their own game maze and characters using colored pegs. Using an app, you take a photo of the peg board creation and it becomes a real game that is later customised. Kids can also visit other peoples created worlds or look to them for some inspiration.
Card games, board games, robots and tablet games are all being used to get children thinking about coding in a lively and exciting way. These games teach logic, syntax, problem solving and help develop a sense of what programming is and how computers work.
10. Code Master Programming Logic GameHere is another successfulboard gamefocused on programming. Made for a single player, the Code Master Programming Logic Game has 10 maps with 60 levels and is suitable for both kids and adults of all ages. Along with learning how the coding process works, kids will build planning, sequential reasoning, and problem-solving skills that will definitely help them in the future.
Children love playing card games, so why not try and teach them problem solving and coding logic while they have fun. Thats the idea behind the newBits & Bytes Coding Card Game. The cards have colorful cute characters with names like, data, perl, byte, bit and bug. Kids have to help their characters to get home, by creating programs, which are directional instructions. They will come upon challenges along the way, but its all a learning journey. The company is UK based, but ships anywhere in the world.
Robot Wars is a board game that teaches the basics of java programming through simple cards and commands. Kids will learn conditions and syntax such as Sequential Logic, Conditional Logic, If-Else Syntax, While Loop Syntax and many others. The aim of the game is to be the first to reach the winning zone and eliminate the other robots. A fun game for families to play together while kids unknowingly learn at the same time.